Foxglove is one....
When it comes to choosing garden in the UK, it's important to be mindful of plants that can be harmful if ingested or touched, especially if you have small children who are prone to exploring and putting things in their mouths.
Here are some common garden plants to avoid or handle with care if you have small children:
Yew (Taxus baccata): All parts of this common evergreen shrub are highly poisonous, especially the seeds and foliage.
Foxglove (Digitalis purpurea): This pretty plant produces showy spikes of tubular flowers, but all parts of the plant are highly toxic, especially the leaves and seeds.
Deadly nightshade (Atropa belladonna): As the name suggests, this plant is highly poisonous, with all parts containing toxic alkaloids.
Rhododendron (Rhododendron ponticum): This popular ornamental shrub contains toxic compounds in all parts of the plant, especially the leaves.
Lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis): This plant is highly toxic, with all parts containing potent cardiac glycosides.
Hemlock (Conium maculatum): This common weed contains highly toxic alkaloids that can cause paralysis and respiratory failure if ingested.
Laburnum (Laburnum anagyroides): This ornamental tree produces showy clusters of yellow flowers, but all parts of the plant contain toxic alkaloids.
Monkshood (Aconitum napellus): This pretty plant produces showy spikes of hooded flowers, but all parts of the plant are highly toxic, especially the roots.
Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans): This common plant is known for causing an itchy, painful rash when touched, but it can also be toxic if ingested.
Japanese knotweed (Fallopia japonica): This invasive plant can cause structural damage to buildings and is difficult to eradicate, so it's best avoided if you have small children who might come into contact with it.
If you're unsure about the toxicity of a plant, it's best to err on the side of caution and keep it out of reach of small children or avoid planting it altogether. It's also a good idea to teach children about the importance of not touching or eating unknown plants